Engineering students in a fix: Wait for JEE score or reserve a seat in private college
Engineering aspirants are left in a dilemma whether to wait for their JEE results or pay lakhs of rupees to reserve a seat in a private college. This comes after various top private engineering colleges in the country are closing their admission processes, with their last dates leaving little to be left for a refund. Several top private engineering colleges of the country canceled their entrance exams and announced that this year the admission will be based on class 12th marks. While some top colleges are also considering the IIT-JEE examination score that was held in January, some major colleges like VIT aren’t.
As the second JEE Mains exams are scheduled from September 1 to September 6, and the JEE Advanced exam is scheduled for September 27. Students are hoping to get the final results by the first week of October. However, private colleges have already started closing their admissions and are taking admission fees, counting into lakhs of rupees.
Many top colleges have also announced the last date for fee submission while some have also announced dates for commencement of online classes. For instance, VIT has marked September 10 as the last date for full payment of admission fee while it commences online classes on September 16.
The scenario in major private colleges
Among some major colleges, UPES asked parents to confirm admission by July 28 and pay partial fees. If the candidate does not notify withdrawal by September 10, the partial amount will be forfeited from the refund as per UGC guidelines. The Dehradun-based college is scheduled to commence online classes on September 1.
Meanwhile, Nodia-based Jaypee Institute of Technology kept August 25 as the last date for 50% payment of admission fees while it commences classes from September 9.
SRM University has also put the last date for payment of fees as of September 2 and commences classes on September 9.
Parents forced to pay lakhs of a fee to reserve a seat
As per UGC refund policies, a 100 percent refund is only provided if the withdrawal of admission is announced 15 days to the last date of admission notified by the college. With students still waiting for JEE results expected to be announced somewhere in October, it is highly unlikely that a student would withdraw admission from their backup college in September.
Parents say that this is a gamble that they have been forced to play.
“Colleges are well aware of the dates when JEE results are to be announced but still, their closing dates are early, which leave us with no option but to pay fees to reserve a seat and let go of a refund in case our child gets a better college in JEE results.” Says Manish Kumar, father of a JEE aspirant from Ghaziabad.
He further added “If we do not take a seat, we are left to fend ourselves a college based on the JEE score. Not every student has the confidence that they will score well and hence we have to keep a backup option in one of the private colleges.”
Another parent Rajeev Sharma paid admission fees of over Rs 6 lakh in three different colleges to keep a backup for his son. “As parents, we are always anxious for the future of our children, and with the coronavirus pandemic situation, we are on the edge. I have paid over 1 lakh fees at three different private colleges each so that my son will have colleges to choose from in case he doesn’t get his preferred score in JEE exams,” said the Noida resident.
Agriya Khetrapal, a JEE aspirant from Noida has paid Rs 2 lakh in Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology to reserve a seat. The University had marked August 28 as the last date for payment of fees for confirmation of admission and it is scheduled to commence online classes from September 1.
“Generally every year JEE exams are over by May and we know our score so we can choose a college and make decisions accordingly. This year, there is too much uncertainty. I am not very confident of my JEE score and had to take admission in a private university. However, if I score well in JEE and get a better college like NITs or IITs, I will let go of this admission. But those results will only be out till October and I will only be eligible for a partial refund,” he says.
Some students ready for the gamble
On the other hand, some students are ready to play the gamble and have decided to wait for their JEE results.
“My percentile for January’s JEE Mains exam was around 95 which wouldn’t give me even an NIT of my choice. Hence, I will be giving a second attempt next week and plan to score around 98-99 percentile which will place me in a better position to chose a college.” says Siddhant Sharma, an engineering aspirant from Delhi.
He further added “I am not very certain but have decided to hope for the best and wait for my results rather than wasting my parents’ money on reserving a seat in a private college.”
However, what would happen if he doesn’t score as much as he expects? “I will then drop a year and give the exams with better preparations next year,” he said.
According to Saurabh Kumar, Director Academics, Vidyamandir Classes Ltd- a coaching institute- private colleges also do not have any other option. “Coronavirus pandemic has put everyone in a very sticky situation, including the private colleges. Now, 6 months have already gone waiting but they cannot wait longer if they have to keep their institute running. This is why most of the private institutes are taking admission fees and trying to forfeit as much amount as possible by the time the JEE results are announced,” says Kumar.
He adds that he has been flooded with queries from parents of students who are in this dilemma. “Majority of the parents have decided to pay admission fees and keep a backup college. They are ready to ‘play the gamble’ if it means a secure future for their child’s career,” he signs off.
Read: Delhi Lt Governor rejects Kejriwal govt’s proposal to postpone NEET-JEE examinations
Read: 10 tips to be kept in mind on and before exam day for JEE Main 2020 aspirants